Mary at the Foot of the Cross - "Stabat Mater" - A Literal Translation by GPQ

The Catholic season of Lent began last week with Ash Wednesday. During these 40 days there are many pious devotions that Catholics have participated in over the millennia. One of those devotions is praying a poetic sequence written about Mary's suffering at the foot of the cross. The exact authorship and dating is unclear, but regardless it is very old and has been a part of the Church's liturgy for centuries. Here is an article about its history. "Stabat Mater" literally means "The mother was standing". There are many poetic translations that you can find on the internet. Here is a very literal translation that I personally did from the Latin. I hope that it inspires in you the Lenten spirit of penitence. 

The Mother Was Standing
"The sorrowful, weeping mother was standing very close to the cross while her son was hanging. Through her soul, moaning, saddening, and suffering, the sword passed. O how sad and shattered was that blessed mother of the only-begotten! Who was grieving and was hurting and was trembling, while she was watching the punishments of her famous son. Who is the man who would not cry for the Mother of Christ if he might see her in so great suffering? Who might be able not to be saddened contemplating this pious mother suffering with her son. For the sins of the people she saw Jesus in torments and the scourges having been applied. She saw her own sweet son dying, desolate while He let go of his spirit. See the mother, the fount of love; make me to feel the strength of your pain so that with you I may grieve. Make so that my heart may burn in loving Christ, God, so that to him I may be pleasing. Holy mother, you love that one of yours. 

Fix the wounds of the crucified one strongly on my heart. Your son having been wounded, deigned to suffer so for me. Share the punishments with me. Make me truly to cry with you, to suffer greatly with the crucified one as long as I will have come to life. With you to stand near to the cross, willingly to join you in your lamentation I desire. Virgin of virgins most distinguished, may you not be bitter to me. Make me with you to mourn. Make, so that I may carry the death of Christ. Make me a sharer in the passion and cultivate afresh the blows. Make me to be wounded by the blows, to be intoxicated by this cross on account of the love of your son. Having been kindled and set afire, through you, virgin, may I be defended in the day of judgment. Make me to be guarded by this cross by the death of Christ, to be fortified, to be cared for by grace. When the body has been dead, make so that my soul be given the glory of paradise. Amen."

Stabat Mater

"Stabat mater dolorosa juxta Crucem lacrimosa, dum pendebat Filius. Cuius animam gementem, contristatam et dolentem, pertransivit gladius. O quam tristis et afflicta fuit illa benedicta Mater Unigeniti. Quae moerebat et dolebat, et tremebat, cum videbat nati poenas incliti. Quis est homo qui non fleret, Matrem Christi si videret in tanto supplicio? Quis non posset contristari, Christi Matrem contemplari dolentem cum Filio? Pro peccatis suae gentis vidit Jesum in tormentis et flagellis subditum. Vidit suum dulcem natum morientem desolatum, dum emisit spiritum. Eia Mater, fons amoris, me sentire vim doloris fac, ut tecum lugeam. Fac ut ardeat cor meum in amando Christum Deum, ut sibi complaceam. Sancta mater, istud agas, crucifixi fige plagas cordi meo valide. Tui nati vulnerati, tam dignati pro me pati, poenas mecum divide. Fac me tecum pie flere, crucifixo condolere, donec ego vixero. Iuxta crucem tecum stare, te libenter sociare in planctu desidero. Virgo virginum praeclara, mihi iam non sis amara: fac me tecum plangere. Fac ut portem Christi mortem, passionis fac consortem, et plagas recolere. Fac me plagis vulnerari, cruce hac inebriari, ob amorem Filii. Inflammis et accensus per te Virgo, sim defensus in die judicii. Fac me cruce custodiri, morte Christi praemuniri, Confoveri gratia. Quando corpus morietur, fac ut animae donetur Paradisi gloria."

Comments